Harvy Ashley

M, b. 12 January 1810, d. 23 March 1811
     Harvy was born on 12 January 1810 at Broome, New York.1 He was the son of George Washingon Ashley and Mary (Polly) Dickinson. Harvy died on 23 March 1811 at Broome, New York, at age 1.1


  1. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862.

Harry Ashley

M, b. 5 February 1812
     He was a carpenter.
      The Historical Ledger of Harry Ashley, Upper Lisle, Broome County, NY; July 4th, 1886
      I was born February 5th 1812 in the town of Lisle Broome Co. New York at the home of my father and mother in the farm that he selected for a residence in the year 1805 adjoining my grandfather Obadiah Dickinson now occupied by Wm. Dorchester.
      I pass over the events of my childhood as I do not recollect much until the death of my grandfather in Sept. 1816 and in Feb. 6th 1819 my mother died of consumption. My grandmother died in June 1813 but I don't remember it. My father and mother were married in November 1806. My sister Eliza was born the 24th day of July 1807. My brother Perry was born Nov. 26th 1813. Thus you see our home was made desolate by the death of my mother. I was too young to realize our loss as my father did. My future mother worked there to do the work before and after my mother died and they were married the ninth of May following. Her name was Sally Page and she was a good mother to me. My sister Polly named after my mother was born March 27th 1820. In the fall of 1820 my father traded the farm for a small place up on the creek road now occupied by P. Beardsley (with Capt. Rose) and in the spring of 1821 made ready to build a home. He took land to raise corn as his new farm was not cleared. I was now in my tenth year and my father thought I was a smart boy so he got Capt. Bogg (Bagg?) to make me an ax and I helped to ____ the timber for the house. We didn't get the house ready to move in until cold weather. My brother Rodney was born Dec. 26, 1821 before we moved and we moved in Feb. without a chimney and it was pretty tough to endure the cold and smoke with a babe six weeks old.
      My father used [to] go down the river as a pilot in the spring and this spring he engaged to go and before he went he marked off some logs for Perry and I to cut for logging while he was gone. This took about two weeks. We cut the logs and he made a bee and logged it and planted an acre of corn. We kept on clearing but it was heavy timbered and slow clearing as we had no team. I worked for the neighbors and mother took in weaving so we scrubbed along the best we could. Provisions were cheap but we had no money to buy with. I worked at home most of the time clearing and working out by the day until I was 18 years old that year. I worked for Eben Green chopping both side of the creek on land now owned by A. Hodges then worked for Jason [?] Hawes.
      Through haying and after that worked for David Smith and sons clearing in the east hill and graveling dam and worked for David Smith through the winter of 1830 and 31. Went down the river in the spring with father for James Irvine [Levine?]. My brother Perry about this time went to learn the blacksmith trade with John Mead at Lisle.
      After I got back from down the river I worked for John Baker to learn the carpenter's trade. My father had my wages 8 dollars a month for one year after that I was to have my time. I worked the year out and went down the river again with my father for Richard Clark and gave my father my wages as he owed the man we went for.
      The Universalist Church was built in 1830 by Wm. Lewis and dedicated in June 1831. I worked on the farm most of the time for L. Baker until Sept. then we commenced to build the house for Frederick Lampman 1832 now owned by L. ? Elliott.
      After working for Mr. Baker to about the first of January he hired me to Samuel Francis he having joiner work to do indoors. I helped to frame the Baptist Church at Triangle 1832. There we built a house for Abram Taft half a mile above Triangle Village. There were two stages every day. One went east and one west. Sometime in June cholera broke out in N.Y. and there was a great stampede from there to the western part of the state. The road was lined with teams going to their friends in the western part of the state. When we finished Mr. Taft's house we commenced to build one for Reuben Chase.
      I don't know who the occupant is now. It is the fifth house east of Joseph Selph.
      After I got through for Mr. T. I went to Lisle and done some work for John Thompson and had to go to Ithica to get my pay. I stayed at home through the winter and helped my father make half bushes and boxes.
      In the spring of 1833 I hired to Elijah (Stutch?) for a month finished a house on the farm now known as the Lin Smith place. Then commenced to build a house for Wm. Smith now owned by Orrin Smith.
      Isaac Smith and his wife were there then. We also commenced a house for Wm. Lee before haying hewed timber and built a dam for Dexter Meacham about the middle of July he agreed to frame a barn for Harry Crittenton.
      He cut his arm and was set to boss the framing which I did and came out all right. The other hands were James Campbell, Horace Hand, Gid Halbert and Levi Ingersoll.
      In the latter part of the season did the work on the brick house for Oliver Wheaton now owned by Moses Rogers.
      Helped by father through the winter again [1834] toward spring. I went with Russell Smith and cut timber for the house now occupied by John Smith, Fidelia and their mother. In the spring went and hewed it and expected to work for Hatch again but he chose to hire other help. About this time Mr. Hawes proposed to hire me to build a house for them so I commenced to work and framed the house and got it all right. He also hired Orrin Dickinson paying each a dollar a day. I had agreed to help Solomon Page build a house before working for Hawes.
      John Baker framed his house so when the frame was up I went there to work. Dickinson working for Hawes but he didn't get along to suit Hawes and he turned him off. After getting Page's house along and finishing the lower part I went back to Hawes and worked for him. Then I worked through the season for the two men and made a good summer work. Stayed to fathers till spring working as usual. The latter part of winter made lath for David Bronson's house.
      Went down the river for I. White got back and worked building a house for Brannon.
      Framed a barn for Hiram Standish. Standish living with his second wife on the place now owned by A. Hodges and occupied by Oscar Black.
      In Dec. this year there was a great fire in N. York and some genius invented a planing machine and since that time they have gradually come into use. I worked on the house now owned by Amos Stickney for his father house 2 or 3 weeks. John O. Taft worked with me.
      There was a great exhibition sometime in Feb. or March. It was an awful cold and snowy winter. I stayed to Mr. Hawes most of the time through the winter and was married March 22nd and went house- keeping April 21st in a house standing on the side of the road where the horse barn of the Ranson Page place now occupied by Bill Adams.
      I worked building some for Hawes and built a house for my cousin Orrin Dickinson and raised some corn and fatted a cow. There came a frost in August kidded the corn and some spring wheat. The 5th of October the snow fell two feet deep and broke down timber to heat all and the 12th there came another 18" deep.

      The 9th of January our little Lydia Elvira was born. She grew and seemed to be a smart child till she was taken with Erysipelas. The first of April we moved to John Herman's and she died the 13th of April. I wanted a home of my own. I had a little money and my wife had an uncle living in Crawford Co. Penn. and it was reported a good place to buy land. The 3rd of May I with Alva Billings started. We went to Ithica and took the steamboat to Erie 45 m. then went on foot to Conn. found Fred Lampman stayed then a day or two and started for Crawford. Stayed to Wm. Cornell's my wife's cousin from there we went Pel(?) Cornell's my wife's uncle went to Greenville and various other places went to Meadville to [illegible]. The land agent and got a description of several pieces of land. Bought 100 acres in the town of N. Chenango in partnership with Billings and returned [illegible] out and Billings came home. I found a chance to work on a house at Springfield corner. I stayed about three weeks and got home sometime in July. Worked for Silas most of the season often till winter. I finally sold my interest in the land to Silas for a mare and a colt.

      Mariah born May 24th. I bought a little place of Elijah Hatch and moved on to it the first of Nov. On 27th James Graham died.
      Framed a barn for Gid Meacham.
      Worked for George Fralick framed a barn for the Fralicks after haying. Built a barn in Barker for Daniel Twist.
      Bought a two year old steer of him and led him home. Bought another of brother Silas. Thomas Baker and I built school house. I cut my heel chord so that it made a cripple of me. Broke my steers. In the spring of 1840 I framed a barn for Allen C. Jeffords.
      This was the year Harrison was elected President. I built a house for Stephen Twiss worked by the day. Amos Stickney helped work on it.
      Finished the house the forepart of July. Came home and done my haying then worked on John Leach's show shop then worked on the Baptist Church. A. Stickney done off the steeple after the other help had quit.
      Aug. 21st Harry Green's wife died. In the fall worked for . Ballard doing off an old house. Rodney helped me. Done this job before working on the meeting house. The house on the Day farm was burned late in the fall of 1841.
      Perry was born Feb. 22nd. I worked on my land mostly this year. In the spring of 1842 I sold my place to Ransom Thurston and bought a farm of 60 acres in the town of Marathon on the Merrill's creek. Moved the 19th of April. I engaged to build a house for August Van Ordal and one for Mason leach which is the one I now occupy. I also put up and enclosed one for Silas Smith now owned by Burke Smith of Nebraska. The first one named now owned and occupied by (?) Thurber.
      My brother Rodney worked for me for $12 per month and we done the farm work besides.
      I engaged to build a house for John Burget(?) which is now owned and occupied by Frank Hazard.
      I also built a house on the Day farm where this one was burned. I framed a barn for Jonathan Leach in the spring and put up a cheap house for myself and hired out the farm to Vanire Yarrington.
      I hired my two brothers Rodney and John this year. It was this year that Mrs. Balt was abducted away. Adaline was born Jan. 1843. April 1843. I framed a barn for Jonathan Leach.
      I hired my two brothers this summer. Built a house for John Burghardt now owned and occupied by Frank Hazzard.
      Also a house for Mrs. Ellinor Day finished the same year.
      A. Van Ordal sold the place where I built the house in 1842 to Silas Smith and I put on an addition for a barroom. This was the year Polk was elected. There was a tavern kept there for a number of years. L. Hinman and wife and I and my wife went visiting to Onondaga Co. in October. Wm. Burdsall died while we were gone.
      George was born June 2nd. I hired the farm to P. Smith and moved to the Burget house. Engaged to build a house for Frank Johnson.
      Finished it in August. Engaged to build one for Uncle Asa and Lavina Rogers and furnish lumber finished it in the winter of 1846. Moved back to my farm. I took a pair of oxen of Uncle Asa for building house now occupied by Seymour Courtney.
      In June 1850 my father and mother, brothers and sisters moved to Ill. and left me almost alone except my brother Perry living at Greene. I parted with my poor old father with heartfelt sorrow and it was the last time I ever saw him. We now had five children. Elsie, the youngest, 2 years old. They had a good journey to Ill. and arrived all right. It seemed quite lonesome for a while but soon were away.
      I kept a building when (illegible) required finished at Rogers house and built one for George Fralick that year.
      Working my farm and getting ready to build a house for myself. Mexican War commenced.
      Commenced building my house. Hired Hanson Hoag to make shingles. Got it up and covered before cold weather. Worked at through the winter finished at the summer of 1848 and moved in. Plastered it in the spring of 49. Sister Polly was married in the fore part of May and moved to Ill. Brother Rodney and I built a house for Abram Rogers now owned and occupied by Milton Sherwood and another (illegible).
      Built a barn for myself and done some small jobs for others. In the spring of 1852 I hired Oscar Wheaton.
      We worked for Eliar Fralick on his house. Peter Frolick died while we were there. I had forgot that my father-in-law died in Jan. that winter. We had the measles early in the spring. Elija was born the 1st of May following. I cleared a piece of land in the spring. About the first of June commenced to build a house for Jim Laner and repaired Don Hall's house. Laner job lasted until cold weather.
      Got news of the death of my father. I was building the house now owned by A. McFarland.
      It was the 7th of March. I had the offer of more work again this summer. Built the school house on the west side now turned into a dwelling and owned by Richard Burget and built the Odd Fellows Hall. Mother came home to visit her friends and stayed till Sept. and Mary Ann and I went with her home an visited with the rest of them and with our friend in Michigan. Four weeks after we left Ill. got newHarry Ashley of the death of my brother John. Sold my farm to Russel Smith on March 1854 and bought house and lot now owned by Frank Hoag and occupied by William Wall.
      (This is where John was born.) Built a house for Alanson Hoag in the spring. Then built a Temperance Hall afterwards turned to a dwelling house now owned and occupied by Frank Adams.
      In Jan. 1855 I bought the farm I now own of L. Wicker and L. G. Purdy and turned my house and lot in part payment.
      We moved the 9th of March a very cold day. I bought the stock with the farm consisting of ten cows, a pair of stags, a pair of colts coming this year old and some young stock a quantity of grain and what hay there was left after wintering the stock through. I lost two cows by their neglect in not caring for them. One of the colts was sick all summer and the old house was full of bedbugs which made my wife and daughter a good deal of trouble and we were all pretty near discouraged and I bargained the place away to Willie Baules but he failed to fulfill the contract and I was glad he didn't.
      (Mary born May 1) I worked for the Rouse in the meantime building their horse barn and dooryard fence. In the spring of 1857 I engaged to build the school house at Upper Lisle which I did according to contract working the farm. Jael Turner worked for me. The boys were not old enough to do men's work. I determined to build a house for myself. I got in the lumber in the winter and commenced in the spring of 1858 to build a house. I was in debt to get the farm and didn't feel much like going to building but something must be done. I razed the frame July 13th, 1858. I made out to get the roof and siding on before cold weather. Brother Allen and sister Adeline Spaulding came from Mich. to visit me and I took them to Afton to visit friends there. I worked at the house what I could through the winter. The boys and I had the farm work to do so my work on the house went slow.
      Ida was born March 1st, 1859 in the old house. I made out to finish the house ready to plaster and got John Thursten to do the work the last of October, 1859 Hanging doors and other work kept us from moving until late in Dec. Grandma Smith came to see us in the new house once. She was sick and I took her home.
      She was sick more or less all winter and died March 26th, aged nearly 79. The Presidential elections came that year and ABRAHAM LINCOLN was elected. The Democrats and fire eaters of the south kicked up a fuss about it, formed a separate government and stole all of the military stores of the U.S. government and declared war in 1861. President Lincoln called for 75,000 men and from that time till 1865 war raged throughout the land. Abram Rogers died the 7th of Mar. 1860.
      I worked the farm more through this year. Levelled off the dooryard and moved the old house away and began to make things look better. In Sept. I went to Cortland and helped the Stickney boys build a bridge across the Onondoga river near the Poor house. Mar. Abram Rogers died while I was up there. The Presidential election was a very warm one and resulted in favor of the Republicans. When the Southern states began to secede it looked as if the government was going to destruction. James Bucanon the Democratic President was awed into silence by the fire eaters. But I am not writing a history o the war but when Abe Lincoln called for 75,000 men in 1861 it set everyone on tip toe and such a firing of guns, no fourth of July ever beat that. I forgot to say that I bought my first mowing machine in 1860, and was trying it west of the house when George Adams came to take the census. In the spring of 61 Uncle Asa Rogers died aged 97. Mason Rogers died near the same time. I built the horse barn the same year. I set out the orchard back of the house in the spring of 59.
      The soldiers 1861 was glad to get home but when the President asked for more men there were plenty of them that wanted to go. Perry was among the numbers. Poor boy he had fits but for all that they took him. He was gone about three months and came home discharged for disability. In Jan. 1864 there was a call for more men and he went again and was gone 16 months. I didn't work at my trade any more but kept on improving my farm and building additions to my barns and (illeg.) built quite an addition to the house.
      In 1866 I cleared off and ploughed 12 acres on the flat next to the Leuhr farm. 1867 logged up the remainder 10 acres planted corn and sowed oats on the part plowed last year. Went west visiting after harvest burned [illegible]. After I came back and plowed it. In April 1868 Mariah went west and stayed through the summer and was married out there. Stayed through the winter. They went to Sterling Whiteside Co. Gestie was born there in September. She came home in Nov. and mother came with her. She stayed to our house through the winter. Will came in 1869. I hired Perry and Pete Carter in 1869. Chopped and peeled a lot of bark and built the lower barn. In 1870 hired Wil Waterman for 25 dollars a month for 8 months. Cleared off 4 acres and sowed it to wheat and chopped and peeled another piece. Nance Park drowned the 6th of May. Mother went home in Sept. Maria stayed with us through the summer. Morgan went to [illegible] to visit his sister Bet. By in June Elvin [illegible] was born. I bought a new platform rocker.
      I raised 100 bushels of wheat. May 18th [illegible] hung. Fire broke out on my back lot and ran over Burget's wood lot. I hired Gene Gutches and turned him off after he worked a while. He didn't answer the contract hired by the day through haying.
Aunt Chloe Henmau buried Jan. 1st.
     Jan 16th Louisa Johnson died.
     Feb. 11th Charles Mathewson died.
     Feb. 17th George Fralick died.
     Mar. 11th Ferm Cummings began to plow on the Stickney farm.
     Apr. 7th Dwight Freeman died.
     April 20th Mrs. Levi Hasbrouch died.
     June 18th Wm. Baker died.
     1872 April 11th Wm. Ford died.
     Apr. 30 Steam sawmill burned on the hill in Kellawag.
     Sept. 9th Walter Page shot himself accidentally.
     1873 Jan. 24 Charles Collins buried.
     July 31 Will Brannon drowned.
      Deaths of 1881
     June 14 M. B. Eldridge died at the Asylum.
     Mar. 19th Old Mrs. Dorchester died.
     Apr. 20th Gideon Baker died.
     Apr. 24 Lyman Wooster buried at the Point.
     May 30th Nelson Synham died at Castle Creek.
      Deaths of 1882
     Feb. 24th Elder Wm. Gates dead.
     May 16th Wm. Beals buried.
     June 27th Sash and Blind Factory burned to the Point.
     Oct. 14 3 Marathon women killed by the cows(?) at Syracuse.
     Feb. 14th R.R. accident below the Point. Eugenia killed.

     July 2nd Menkin hung at (?_.)
Harry died. Harry was born on 5 February 1812 at Broome, New York.1 He was the son of George Washingon Ashley and Mary (Polly) Dickinson. He married Mary Ann Smith in 1836.


  1. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862.

Sally Page

F, b. 22 December 1799, d. 29 April 1874
     Sally was born on 22 December 1799 at Broome, New York.1 She married George Washingon Ashley on 9 May 1819.2,3 Sally died on 29 April 1874 at Wheaton, Illinois, at age 74.2,3

Children of Sally Page and George Washingon Ashley


  1. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862.
  2. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862 ,,.
  3. [S43] Ashley Journal, Ashley, Harry.

Polly Ashley

F, b. 27 March 1820
     Polly died. Polly was born on 27 March 1820 at Broome, New York.1,2 She was the daughter of George Washingon Ashley and Sally Page.


  1. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862 , ;.
  2. [S43] Ashley Journal, Ashley, Harry.

Rodney Ashley

M, b. 26 December 1821
     Rodney died. Rodney was born on 26 December 1821 at Broome, New York.1 He was the son of George Washingon Ashley and Sally Page.


  1. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862.

John Ashley

M, b. 8 April 1824, d. 3 November 1853
     John was born on 8 April 1824 at Broome, New York.1 He was the son of George Washingon Ashley and Sally Page. John died on 3 November 1853 at age 29.1


  1. [S32] Ashley Bible, 1862.

Obadiah Dickinson

M, b. 2 May 1739
     Obadiah died. He married Elizabeth Smith at East Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut.1 Obadiah was born on 2 May 1739 at Middletown, Connecticut.2 He was the son of Obidiah Dickinson and Hanah Rockwell.


  1. [S44] Hudson-Mohawk, Reynolds, Cuyler , pg. 1572.
  2. [S44] Hudson-Mohawk, Reynolds, Cuyler , pg.1572.

Elizabeth Smith

     Elizabeth Smith was the daughter of John Smith and Mary NN----. She married Obadiah Dickinson at East Windsor, Hartford County, Connecticut.1 Elizabeth died.


  1. [S44] Hudson-Mohawk, Reynolds, Cuyler , pg. 1572.

Sgt. William Ashley

M, b. 7 May 1758, d. 27 December 1828
     William was born on 7 May 1758 at Rochester, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Thomas Ashley and Mary Gifford. William Ashley enlisted in July or August 1775, served in Captain John Grant's company, Colonel Seth Warner's regiment; he was at the taking of St. Johns, the battles of Sorel and Montreal and in the retreat from Quebec, returned to the United States the last of June, 1776.

He enlisted July 1, 1777. Served in Captain Ebenezer Allen's company, Colonel Samuel Herrick's regiment of Vermont Rangers. Was in the evacuation of Ticonderoga and at the capture of Burgoyne, served until the last of December, 1777. He enlisted in February or March, 1778 and served two months in Captain Clark's company guarding the frontiers, then enlisted and served seven months as Sergeant in Captain Brookins company, Colonel Gletcher's regiment of Vermont militia. He also served in the Vermont militia at various other times, one under Captain Dewey.

He applied for pension, November 16, 1826 in Darke County, Ohio. The claim was not allowed as the service he rendered was not on the Continental Establishment, which was required by the Act of March 18, 1818, under which he applied. William was said to be a comrade of Nathaniel Niles who wrote the Hymn of Bunker Hill.

William lived for a time in Chenango Co, NY. after the war and then moved to Drake County, Ohio.

Poultney Vermont

Poultney, Vermont lies on the level plain of the Poultney River near the New York borderline, a neat clean village in the heart of the district that produces unfading green, purple, and mottled slates. The streets are orderly and well planned; the unpretentious brick and wooden houses with slate roofs, and here and there traces of Colonial dignity, are well kept. In spite of the fact that the depression caused slate to be widely replaced by cheaper materials, thus undermining the industrial foundation the town, Poultney has maintained a brave and attractive front. The population includes a large proportion of Welsh, who left their native slate quarries in Wales for this new quarrying field. Hooker and Son opened the first quarry in Poultney.

Green Mountain Junior College, at the western end of Main St. was founded in 1836 by the Methodist Episcopal Church as Troy Conference Academy, became Ripley Female College for a time, and took its present name and status in 1931. The fine red brick buildings with white trim are set back on an elm shaded campus, and center around Ames Memorial Hall, with its rounded, white pillared portico. The athletic field is behind the school. This is one of the oldest and most respected secondary schools in Vermont.

The town was settled in 1771 by Thomas Ashley (William's half/brother) and Ebenezer Allen; the latter subsequently moved north to Grand Isle. Both of these pioneers, with other Poultney settlers, were with Ethan Alllen and Benedict Arnold at the capture of Ticonderoga (including William). The origin of the name Poultney is not definitely known, but it is thought to derive from Lord Poultney, a friend of Governor Benning Wentworth.
Sgt. William Ashley began military service in August 1775 at American Revolution, Vermont.
He married Phoebe Howe in 1779 at Vermont.2 William died on 27 December 1828 at Ashley Family Cemetery-Floyd Farm, South of Ithaca, Darke, Ohio, USA, at age 70.3

Children of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg.54.
  2. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg. 54.
  3. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. ,, pg 54.

Phoebe Howe

F, b. 19 February 1761, d. 4 January 1833
     Phoebe was born on 19 February 1761 at Marlborough, Massachusetts.1 She was the daughter of Nehemiah Howe and Beulah Wheeler. She married Sgt. William Ashley in 1779 at Vermont.1 Phoebe died on 4 January 1833 at Darke County, Ohio, USA, at age 71.2

Children of Phoebe Howe and Sgt. William Ashley


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg. 54.
  2. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Loami Ashley

M, b. 9 August 1784, d. 25 September 1855
     Loami was born on 9 August 1784 at Vermont.1 He was the son of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Occupation: (an unknown value). He married an unknown person on 1 June 1818 at Herkimer, Herkimer County, New York. Loami died on 25 September 1855 at Bachman, Ohio, USA, at age 71.1


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Elisha Ashley

M, b. 25 February 1796, d. 15 June 1863
     Occupation: Rev.. Elisha was born on 25 February 1796 at Herkimer, Herkimer County, New York.1 He was the son of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Elisha died on 15 June 1863 at Merom, Sullivan County, Indiana, at age 67.1


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Alanson Ashley

     His body was interred at in Old Cemetery Abbottsville, Ohio.1 Alanson died. Alanson was born at Vermont.1 He was the son of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe.


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Sardis Ashley

F, b. 29 April 1801, d. 19 May 1853
     She married Alfred Ayers.1 Sardis was born on 29 April 1801 at New York.2 She was the daughter of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Sardis died on 19 May 1853 at Union City, Indiana, at age 52.2


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 55.
  2. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

William Ashley

M, b. 31 December 1786
     William died at Pulaskiville, New York.1 He was an elder. William was born on 31 December 1786 at Rutland County, Vermont.1 He was the son of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe.


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Harry Ashley

M, b. 1798, d. 27 June 1841
     Occupation: Rev.. Harry was born in 1798.1 He was the son of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Harry died on 27 June 1841 at Licking County, Ohio.1


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Philanda Ashley

F, b. April 1780, d. September 1857
     Philanda was born in April 1780 at Poultney, Vermont.1 She was the daughter of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. She married Hiram Burtch in 1795 at Herkimer, Herkimer County, New York.1 Philanda died in September 1857 at age 77.1

Children of Philanda Ashley and Hiram Burtch


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Rheumilla Ashley

F, b. 19 September 1789, d. 1838
     Rheumilla was born on 19 September 1789 at Poultney, Vermont.1 She was the daughter of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Rheumilla died in 1838.1


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Phebe Ashley

F, b. 16 March 1792, d. 3 February 1860
     She married Amasa Mead at New York.1 She married John Weed at Forestville, New York.1 Phebe was born on 16 March 1792 at New York.1 She was the daughter of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Phebe died on 3 February 1860 at Marengo, Illinois, at age 67.1

Children of Phebe Ashley and John Weed


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , pg 54.

Purnell Ashley

F, b. 1804, d. 1830
     Her body was interred at in Bird Cemetery.1 She married John Higgins.1 Purnell was born in 1804 at New Hampshire or New York.1 She was the daughter of Sgt. William Ashley and Phoebe Howe. Purnell died in 1830 at Mt. Liberty.1

Children of Purnell Ashley and John Higgins


  1. [S42] Ashley's Old Colony, Ashley, Robert E. , PG 54.

Nehemiah Howe

M, b. 13 January 1720/21, d. April 1777
Nehemiah moved from Marlborough to New Marlborough about 1749, and to Poultney, VT in 1775. He served at Ticonderoga and Bennington in the Revolutionary War.

He was a miller. Nehemiah was born on 13 January 1720/21 at Marlborough, Massachusetts.1,2 He was the son of Peter Howe and Grace Bush. He married Beulah Wheeler on 4 March 1746/47 at Bolton, Worcester, Massachusetts.3,2 Nehemiah died in April 1777 at Poultney, Vermont, at age 56.4

Children of Nehemiah Howe and Beulah Wheeler


  1. [S46] Mayflower Families, 5 Generation Series , pg 148,.
  2. [S65] Marlborough MA, Hudson, Charles , pg 385.
  3. [S46] Mayflower Families, 5 Generation Series , pg 148;.
  4. [S46] Mayflower Families, 5 Generation Series , pg 148.

Beulah Wheeler

F, b. 1 March 1724/25, d. circa 1799
     Beulah was born on 1 March 1724/25 at New Marlborough, Massachusetts.1 She was the daughter of Benjamin Wheeler and Hannah NN----. She married Nehemiah Howe on 4 March 1746/47 at Bolton, Worcester, Massachusetts.2,3 Beulah died circa 1799.4

Children of Beulah Wheeler and Nehemiah Howe


  1. [S46] Mayflower Families, 5 Generation Series , pg 148.
  2. [S46] Mayflower Families, 5 Generation Series , pg 148;.
  3. [S65] Marlborough MA, Hudson, Charles , pg 385.
  4. [S46] Mayflower Families, 5 Generation Series ,, pg 148.

Percival Thomas Wiggins

     Percival died.

Child of Percival Thomas Wiggins and Luella Mae Wark

Luella Mae Wark


Child of Luella Mae Wark and Percival Thomas Wiggins

Charles Ellsworth Brown

M, b. 9 January 1865, d. 18 January 1944
      Charles Ellsworth Brown
      " My Great Grandfather was Col. William Brown who came from North Carolina [?] and served in the Revolutionary Army, and at one time served on Washington's staff. He was with General Francis Marion some of the time and later came to Indiana [should be KY] and laid his land grant where Greencastle now stands. He then went back home to North Carolina [should be VA] and never came back and let it go by default. He had sons Robert and Francis who was my Grandfather. He married a Marksberry of Kentucky. There was by this marriage four boys and three girls, Nicholas Smith, William, Issac and John. Elizabeth married Meritt Niclos, Millie [Jane] married John Waldrop.
      My Grandfather was in the War of 1812, served all through the war. Was in the Battle of the Thames and saw Tecumpsey after he was killed. Grandfather said the Indian and Col.
Whitley were locked in each other's arms and had killed each other with knives.
      Our school history books all claim Dick Thompson [Johnson] killed Tecumpsey but Grandfather was there and saw the two men after they were dead. He claimed that Col. Whitley killed him with his knife and was not shot as was claimed.
      Grandfather moved from Kentucky to Putman County, Indiana where Isaac was born 1828. Then moved from there to Crawford County Illinois in 1832. Isaac was four years old. They crossed the Wabash river at Darwin. Some people by the name of Devore who lived on what is now known as the Davis farm north of Robinson. They built a big fire to guide people across the Prairie to their home. Grandfather had been out here the year before and had built a Log Cabin house which burned about two years ago.
      Isaac Brown married Lydia Stamm they raised four boys Benjaman, Francis, Ellis Nicolis, Charles Ellsworth, and Marion Isaac.
      When my Great Grandfather came to Indiania to lay his land grant he started out on horse back with an ax and as he traveled he blazed a tree and all the land he could ride around in a day and blaze, was his. General Marion rode a fine stallion and his name was Selam. The name Marion has been give to some of the boys and they all have horses named Selam.
      Grandfather deeded the ground that comprises the old cemetery so anyone can be buried in it. Grandfather, Grandmother and one daughter are buried in the cemetery on the Davis farm north of Robinson. Father and mother are buried in the old cemetery at Robinson, IL.
      This is all I know and is just the way my father told it to me. This is my 78th birthday.
      I hope you are all well. I have been sick for the past few days.
      Love to all,
      Jan 9, 1943
     (at the time Charles wrote this letter he was of poor health and in his 78th year. There are some errors in the narrative, however the letter provided excellent clues to the past)
      Obituary of Charles E. Brown
      Charles E. Brown, 79, died at the Brooks Hospital in 1944. He was the son of Issac and Lydia (Stamm) Brown. Surving are his wife and three daughters, Mrs Myrle Crocker of Cortland, NY; Mrs. Leona Nolen and Mrs. Dora Effert both of Rochester, NY; and one brother Marion Brown of Robinson. Funeral at Buchanan Funeral Home with Rev. Murray in charge. Interment in the old Robinson Cemetery.

He was a merchant. He married Minnie Pearl NN----.1 Charles was born on 9 January 1865 at Crawford, Illinois.2 He was the son of Issac Marksbury Brown and Lydia Stamm. He married Rosaline Melcima Surrells on 16 June 1885 at Robinson, Crawford County, Illinois.2 Charles died on 18 January 1944 at Robinson, Crawford County, Illinois, at age 79.

Children of Charles Ellsworth Brown and Rosaline Melcima Surrells


  1. [S553] D/C Charles E. Brown (176/3115) Robinson, IL.
  2. [S368] Marriage Lic. #77 (1885).

Rosaline Melcima Surrells1

F, b. August 1869, d. 30 July 1948
     Rosaline Melcima Surrells was (an unknown value.) Rosaline was born in August 1869 at prob. Effringham, IL.2 She was the daughter of Andrew Jackson Surrells and Almeda Beck. She married Charles Ellsworth Brown on 16 June 1885 at Robinson, Crawford County, Illinois.3 Rosaline Melcima Surrells married John W. Nagle after 1925. Rosaline died on 30 July 1948 at bur. Riverside Cemetery, Rochester, Monroe, NY, at age 78.

Children of Rosaline Melcima Surrells and Charles Ellsworth Brown


  1. [S628] Burgess Genealogy, Marvin, T.R. , p. 198.
  2. [S369] Census, Robinson Twp., Crawford Co. IL 1900, Marriage Lic. Robinson IL.
  3. [S368] Marriage Lic. #77 (1885).

Harry Hercules Crocker

M, b. 11 April 1860, d. 10 June 1927
Harry Hercules Crocker
     Harry was born on 11 April 1860 at Chicago, Cook, Illinois. He was the son of Hercules Hodges Crocker and Lydia Ann Nye. He married Rosa Bonheur Tuttle on 26 June 1879 at Berlin Hights, Erie, Ohio.1 Harry was divorced from Rosa Bonheur Tuttle on 12 January 1893 at Erie, Ohio.2 He married May Mathews after 1893. Harry Hercules Crocker was ill with heart disorder/stroke; Cerebral Hemorrrhage (Apoplexy), Generalized arterio Selerosis-Chrome Myocarditis. Harry died on 10 June 1927 at Cerebral Hemorrhage, Cortland, Cortland, New York, at age 67.3 His body was interred in 1927 at Cortland, Cortland, New York, Cortland Rural Cemetery.3

Children of Harry Hercules Crocker and Rosa Bonheur Tuttle


  1. [S308] Tuttle/Crocker, Marriage Certificate.
  2. [S310] Crocker/Tuttle, Divorce.
  3. [S295] Crocker, Harry H., Death Certificate.
  4. [S589] Unknown subject unknown repository.

Rosa Bonheur Tuttle

F, b. 31 January 1859, d. 31 December 1905
     Rosa was born on 31 January 1859 at Berlin Hights, Erie, Ohio.1 She was the daughter of Hudson Tuttle and Emma Dianis Rood. She married Harry Hercules Crocker on 26 June 1879 at Berlin Hights, Erie, Ohio.2 Rosa was divorced from Harry Hercules Crocker on 12 January 1893 at Erie, Ohio.3 Rosa Bonheur Tuttle married Alfred Staley Sr on 22 November 1893 at Sandusky, Ohio.4 Rosa died on 31 December 1905 at Berlin Hights, Erie, Ohio, at age 46.5

Children of Rosa Bonheur Tuttle and Harry Hercules Crocker

Child of Rosa Bonheur Tuttle and Alfred Staley Sr

Child of Rosa Bonheur Tuttle


  1. [S48] Crocker Genealogy, Walter, William A. , pg 217.
  2. [S308] Tuttle/Crocker, Marriage Certificate.
  3. [S310] Crocker/Tuttle, Divorce.
  4. [S589] Unknown subject unknown repository.
  5. [S31] Rogers, Thomas, Sawtelle , pg 398.

Madge Tryphena Crocker

F, b. 12 July 1885
     Madge was born on 12 July 1885 at Berlin Heights, Ohio.1,2 She was the daughter of Harry Hercules Crocker and Rosa Bonheur Tuttle.
      Madge Trypheus Crocker
      I would like to dedicate the Genealogy work that I have done to two of my ancestors, Madge Trypheus Crocker and Florence Edna Miller. Aunt Madge who I never knew did extensive work on her Crocker family line, as well as many other lines back to the Mayflower.

      I only wish that she could have known that it was appreciated; though her brother, my grandfather, was not interested; that I her great grand nephew did find it interesting and was glad that I could carry on and add to her work.
      The extensive as well as major work she did made my efforts all that much eaiser. The Birth, Death, Marriage certificates she gathered along with letters and other documents will add to our family history for generations to come.

      Madge I wish we had met and I hope you know we are greatful!


She married Raymond R. Smith on 2 May 1921 at Nyack, NY.3


  1. [S370] Parents Divorce Papers.
  2. [S589] Unknown subject unknown repository.
  3. [S48] Crocker Genealogy, Walter, William A. , pg 217.

Hercules Hodges Crocker

M, b. 6 March 1828, d. 1 November 1878
Hercules Hodges Crocker
     Hercules was born on 6 March 1828 at Nantucket, Massachusetts.1 He was the son of Luther Crocker and Chloe Hodges. He married Lydia Ann Nye on 21 June 1849 at Franklin County, Indiana.2,3 Hercules Hodges Crocker was ill with heart disorder/stroke; Paralysis. Hercules died on 1 November 1878 at Chicago, Cook, Illinois, at age 50.1,4 His body was interred in November 1878 at Chicago, Cook, Illinois, Rosehill Cemetery

Children of Hercules Hodges Crocker and Lydia Ann Nye


  1. [S48] Crocker Genealogy, Walter, William A. , pg 192.
  2. [S48] Crocker Genealogy, Walter, William A. , pg 191;.
  3. [S55] New York
    Frank E. Best
    Chicago, Il
    Edited by
    David Fisher Nye Elyria, Ohio Compiled by: George Hyatt Nye Auburn, Benjamin Nye of Sandwich, MA - His Anc. and Den., pg 304.
  4. [S294] Crocker, Hercules H., Death Certificate.